Thu, Aug 25|
Zoom link will be provided
August Healing Circle for Survivors (VIRTUAL)
Holding space for survivors of SA & DV through monthly Healing Circles.
Time & Location
Aug 25, 2022, 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM CDT
Zoom link will be provided
About the Event
AUGUST VIRTUAL DETAILS: This month's virtual Circle will be co-facilitated by Christina Ola McHale, Self-Reclaimed's Vice President (read her bio here), and Vanessa De Leon, Self-Reclaimed's Founder and Executive Director (read her bio here)!
Self-Reclaimed offers monthly Healing Circles for survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence to come together in a safe and nurturing space with a clear intention of healing.
“Deriving from practices of Indigenous Peoples, the Circle Process allows for the formation of relationships, the honoring of voices, and the creation of unity. The process at its essence is a story sharing process, which brings together people as equals to have open exchanges about difficult issues or painful experiences in an atmosphere of respect and concern for everyone." (Anderson, Healing Justice, 2019).
Participants can expect to:
- Review & agree to Circle Commitments that are designed to create a safe, nurturing, and confidential space without judgment of self or others. These will be sent through email and discussed during the Circle.
- Be respected as equals with all other participants and facilitators.
- Be met where they're at - no one is forced, or even expected, to verbally share. All participants can make choices that are best for themselves.
- Spend time listening to and sharing with each other.
- Be guided through somatic practices to increase internal awareness and individual capacity.
- Receive support from Circle facilitators to keep the Circle safe and grounded.
- Engage in any specific discussions or healing modalities as outlined in the monthly description.
How to Register:
NEW Healing Circle Members (meaning, this is your first time attending an SR HC) will complete the full registration form on this event page which includes demographic questions.
Registration Demographic Questions:
Why do we ask these questions? At Self-Reclaimed, we value diversity, equity, and inclusion and strive to be aware of how individuals on our team and in our community identify so that we can be intentional with serving our community. We also use confidential demographic information to assist us with funding opportunities to expand our programs.
Who are the Healing Circles for?
This healing space is offered to anyone who identifies as being impacted or affected by sexual assault and/or domestic violence. You may, or may not, identify as a survivor, and wherever you are in your healing journey is welcomed.
Experiencing SA and DV happens on a spectrum, so if you're unsure if this is the right space for you, please don't hesitate to contact us directly so that we can assist you with any questions or concerns you may have. Self-Reclaimed welcomes anyone on the spectrum of survivorship and strives to create an inclusive space for all gender identities, sexual orientations, race and ethnic backgrounds, and abilities.
What is Discussed During the Circle?
While Circles are designed to support individuals who have experienced SA and/or DV, participants are not expected to disclose or discuss their experiences of SA or DV, unless they want to as a part of their own healing journey. During the Circle, participants are encouraged to share anything that is on their hearts during the present time, or choose to take a moment of silence and stillness to honor themselves and where they're at in their journey. The intention of the Circle is individual and collective healing. One of the key functions of the facilitator is to keep the circle grounded.
How Do You Ensure Circles are Safe for Members/Attendees?
There are a couple ways that we ensure safety for our Circle Members:
1. All Members must agree to our Circle Commitments. These are emailed to each registered participant and discussed during the begining of our time together.
2. NEW Circle Members (or those who have never attended an SR Circle before) will schedule a 15 minute welcome call with one of our Circle Facilitators to not only confirm your identity, but also to answer any questions you may have and provide any additional details about the upcoming Circle.
3. No one will be allowed to enter a virtual or in-person Circle who hasn't pre-registered or confirmed their identity.
Are these Circles Free or are there Registration Fees?
All of our survivor Circles are free! Accessibility is a pillar of our Self-Reclaimed services.
Every once in a while we may offer a fundraising event that is similar to a Healing Circle, but for the greater community. These events with fees are survivor-centered, but they are not considered part of our free programming. We still strive to make those events as accessible as possible.
Location of Circles:
Each month, our Healing Circles will be facilitated in a different location (whether in-person or virtually) to increase accessibility for our diverse communities, and co-facilitated with different healing practitioners and advocates. *check the location details for each Healing Circle.
Can I Attend Both the In-Person and Virtual Healing Circles?
Yes, absolutely! Sometimes these Circles have the same intention and sometimes they are different. Make sure to read the details at the top of each event. You only need to complete the full registration (if you are new) for one of the Circles. You can complete the Google form for the other.
Questions? Want to connect with us?
Contact our team at email@example.com! One of our Circle facilitators would be happy to talk with you via email or setup time to speak with you over the phone/virtually.