Sun, May 29|
Our Founder's Home
May Healing Circle (In-Person)
We are honored to be officially holding space for survivors of SA & DV through monthly Healing Circles!
Time & Location
May 29, 2022, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM CDT
Our Founder's Home, Evanston, IL 60202, USA
About the Event
Self-Reclaimed offers monthly Healing Circles for survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence to come together in a safe and nurturing space with a clear intention of healing. May's circles will be intimate with only 7 spaces available for each (7 for virtual and 7 for in-pereson). If capacity is full, you’ll be able to join our waitlist and join us next month!
“Deriving from practices of Indigenous Peoples, the Circle Process allows for the formation of relationships, the honoring of voices, and the creation of unity. The process at its essence is a story sharing process, which brings together people as equals to have open exchanges about difficult issues or painful experiences in an atmosphere of respect and concern for everyone." (Anderson, Healing Justice, 2019).
Participants can expect to:
- Review & agree to Circle Commitments that are designed to create a safe, nurturing, and confidential space without judgment of self or others.
- Sit in a circle formation with participants and facilitators as respected equals.
- Be met where they're at - no one is forced, or even expected, to verbally share. All participants can make choices that are best for themselves.
- Spend the majority of time listening to and sharing with each other.
- Be guided through somatic practices to increase internal awareness and individual capacity.
- Receive support from Circle facilitators to keep the safety of the Circle.
- Bring items of comfort for both virtual and in-person Circles.
- Have pillows and blankets provided by SR for comfort, for in-person circles, to utilize if wanted.
- Enjoy an assortment of snacks and tea provided by SR.
Who are the Healing Circles for?
This healing space is offered to anyone who identifies as a survivor of sexual assault and domestic violence. Experiencing SA and DV happens on a spectrum, so if you're unsure if this is the right space for you, please don't hesitate to contact us directly so that we can assist you with any questions or concerns you may have. Self-Reclaimed welcomes anyone on that spectrum and is an inclusive space for all gender identities, sexual orientations, race and ethnic backgrounds, and abilities.
What is Discussed During the Circle?
While Circles are designed to support individuals who have experienced SA and DV, participants are not expected to disclose or discuss their experiences of SA or DV, unless they want to as a part of their own healing journey. During the Circle, participants are encouraged to share anything that is on their hearts during the present time, or choose to take a moment of silence and stillness to honor themselves and where they're at in their journey. The intention is individual and collective healing while being mindful of not retraumatizing anyone in the circle. Facilitators will keep the circle grounded.
Location of Circles:
Each month, our Healing Circles will be facilitated in a different location (whether in-person or virtually) to increase accessibility for our diverse communities, and co-facilitated with different healing practitioners and advocates.
Registration Demographic Questions:
Why do we ask these questions? At Self-Reclaimed, we value diversity, equity, and inclusion and strive to be aware of how individuals on our team and in our community identify so that we can be intentional with serving our community. We also use confidential demographic information to assist us with funding opportunities to expand our programs.
Questions? Want to connect with us?
Contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org! One of our Circle facilitators would be happy to talk with you via email or setup time to speak with you over the phone/virtually.